In a move that could have major implications for the two companies competing for Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle contracts, the Defense Department is not seeking a national security waiver to congressional restrictions placed on the use of the Russian-made RD-180 rocket engine, according to a department spokeswoman.
Congress has granted the Defense Department permission to shift $3.9 billion between accounts as part of a reallocation of previously appropriated funds, injecting more than $350 million in additional spending into weapons modernization accounts and giving the Pentagon a green light to launch three new-start projects.
DOCUMENT: Congressionally Approved FY-15 Omnibus Reprogramming Requests
The deputy commander of U.S. Cyber Command on Oct. 9 said the Defense Department has made steady progress in establishing the core element of its tactical force in cyberspace, but that further progress is contingent on funding for a new, 24/7 training capability.
ABOARD THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER EISENHOWER -- The carrier variant of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter has completed the flight-test portion of the second round of sea trials, with officials testing among other things the aircraft’s ability to launch and recover with an internal weapons load.
The Defense Department is on track to spend approximately $6.2 billion on its core space situational awareness systems through fiscal year 2020, according to a recent Government Accountability Office briefing.
The United States is awarding contracts to Insitu to supply the air forces of Kenya and Cameroon with unmanned aerial systems in an effort to help the nations address ongoing terrorism threats within their borders.
DOCUMENT: Navy J&A Documents On ScanEagle Contracts For Kenya, Cameroon
Inside the Army, October 12, 2015 -- Military vehicle manufacturers are expected to showcase their offerings for an increasingly tight Army market in Washington this week, with some companies basing their demonstrators on guesstimates of what the service may want.
Frank Kendall, the Pentagon's acquisition chief, said Oct. 6 that he has sent Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work a list of planned program awards for development and production that he believes the Defense Department should consider deferring until a time of greater budget certainty.