The Army has pushed back the due date for companies to bid on the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle follow-on contract to July 15, from a previous deadline earlier this month, according to a service spokeswoman.
“Our program office extended the submission date at the request of industry,” the spokeswoman wrote in an email. The Army now expects to announce the winner of the re-compete on December 22.
Bids were scheduled to be due April 12 when the final solicitation was released in February for the follow-on production contract, which is estimated to be worth up to $7.3 billion over a decade.
The re-compete will decide which company will build the JLTV, the partial humvee replacement, for the next five to 10 years. Because the Army owns the technical data for the vehicle, it can run a competition to see whether any manufacturers can build a nearly identical vehicle at a lower price than the incumbent.
Oshkosh Defense, which has produced the JLTV since it won the original production contract in 2015, has said it will participate in the re-compete. AM General, the humvee manufacturer, has pledged to compete for the follow-on contract, and GM Defense has shown interest but has not publicly said whether it will bid.
“We continue to execute the JLTV program well and are actively engaged in the re-compete process,” Oshkosh Corporation CEO John Pfeiffer said on an earnings call today. “We won the JLTV competition seven years ago knowing that it would be re-competed, and we believe we’re well positioned to retain this significant program.”