Hondo Geurts, the acting under secretary of the Navy and former Navy chief acquisition executive, is retiring from government service, according to a letter he has distributed.
The letter, posted to his LinkedIn profile, says Geurts is leaving "later this month."
He became the service's under secretary on Feb. 4, 2021. He previously served as the Navy's acquisition chief from December 2017 to January 2021.
Geurts, a retired Air Force colonel, was the acquisition executive for U.S. Special Operations Command when former President Trump nominated him as assistant secretary of the Navy for research, development and acquisition.
Some in government had said Geurts was in the running to be next under secretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment, but other current and former officials said his retirement is no surprise as it would have been unlikely for the Biden administration to retain and promote an official from the Trump team.
Meanwhile, the White House has not announced a nominee to succeed Geurts, though Carlos Del Toro, whom has been nominated for service secretary, is awaiting confirmation by the full Senate.