The INSIDER daily digest -- Aug. 10, 2020

By John Liang / August 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM

This Monday INSIDER Daily Digest has news on the Air Force's Next-Generation Air Dominance acquisition strategy, a big space launch contract award and more.

Air Force acquisition chief Will Roper spoke with reporters late Friday afternoon about his service's Next-Generation Air Dominance acquisition strategy as well as a multimillion-dollar space launch contract:

Air Force finalizes NGAD acquisition strategy

The Air Force has finalized its Next-Generation Air Dominance acquisition strategy and expects to know by next month whether it will be adopted as part of the Pentagon's fiscal year 2022 budget request.

Space Force picks ULA, SpaceX for five-year launch deal

The Space Force has selected United Launch Alliance and SpaceX to receive contracts under its Launch Services Procurement program, with ULA receiving 60% of the manifest and SpaceX the remaining 40%.

The Marine Corps, in partnership with the Pentagon's Defense Innovation Unit and Austin, TX-based startup ICON, in January built a 15-foot-tall, 26-foot-long structure to protect and conceal vehicles using 3D printing:

Marine Corps researching large-scale 3D printing for construction

The Marine Corps is eyeing how additive manufacturing can change the ways its construction battalions operate, following a successful proof-of-concept demonstration earlier this year.

In case you missed it, here's our exclusive on the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on defense programs and contractors:

Pentagon seeks $11B in emergency procurement spending for COVID-19 recovery

The Pentagon is telling Congress it needs $11 billion in emergency supplemental funding to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic across its acquisition portfolio and the U.S. defense industrial base, according to a new document obtained by Inside Defense outlining expected delays to specific programs.

Document: DOD's COVID-19 cost overrun document

Army Brig. Gen. Ross Coffman, director of the Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross-Functional Team, briefed the media last week on the service's soldier operational experiment for the Robotic Combat Vehicle:

Army completing first RCV soldier experiment this week

The Army this week is concluding the first soldier operational experiment for the Robotic Combat Vehicle effort to assess how it can integrate unmanned vehicles into ground combat formations.