Live-blogging the big press conference. . . .
* Gates opens by noting "unorthodox" approach -- pointedly noting it was approved by President Obama.
* "These recommendations will profoundly reform how this department does business."
* Cumulative result of Gates' 30 years in the national security arena.
* Consulted closely with president.
* Chairman and vice chairman "in complete accord" with these recommendations.
* Would have made almost all of the recommendations regardless of the budget situation.