The Defense Department has not yet determined when Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will receive his first update on the strategy review launched last week, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters today. Hagel will receive regular updates on the effort, according to a March 15 memo that calls for the assessment to conclude in May. The review "really hasn't gotten going in earnest" yet, Little said. Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, who will play a leading role in the effort, has been traveling in Asia this week.
"This is not a wholesale revision of the strategy," Little said. Rather, the department is looking to determine "what budgetary choices we might have to make if sequestration becomes a protracted condition to be managed," he said.